Vizio is a well-known TV brand with a variety of TV models that provide exceptional performance. Each television model has its own price range and distinguishing features. However, there appears to be a common flaw with Vizio televisions.
Many Vizio users complain about their television not turning on. This problem can be upsetting, especially when it’s time to watch your favorite show and your TV won’t turn on. Fortunately, there are simple solutions to this problem, and this article will recommend them.
For some reason, most Vizio TVs eventually experience the same issue of simply not turning on. There are numerous cases of Vizio TV owners who claim to have experienced this issue – some claim to have been dealing with it for years! Fortunately, there is a quick fix that should fix about 80% of Vizio TVs that won’t turn on.
HOW DO YOU FIX YOUR VIZIO TV WHEN IT WON’T TURN ON?
There are several reasons why your Vizio TV is not powering on. In most cases, simple troubleshooting will resolve the issue. Below are seven best fixes for Vizio TV that won’t power on.
1. Check the Remote Control
There could be a problem with the remote control. It’s possible that the batteries are dead, or that the remote isn’t properly connected to the TV. To resolve this issue, you will need to replace the remote control’s batteries.
If the TV still does not turn on after changing the batteries, make sure the remote control is properly connected to the TV. To test the connection, turn on the TV and press the power button. Depending on the model of your Vizio TV, the power button is located on the bottom left or bottom right side.
If your TV turns on after you press the power button, you will need to reconnect and re-configure your remote control. Reconnect and set up your TV remote to the TV by pressing the TV button on the top right side of the TV remote and following the on-screen prompts.
In extreme cases, your Vizio TV’s IR receiver may be defective and will not accept commands from a remote. You should have this checked out by a professional. While the issue is being resolved, you can use the Vizio TV remote app to control your TV.
2. Power Source
One of the most common reasons your Vizio TV won’t turn on is a power supply problem. Once you’ve confirmed that your remote control is operational, check the power source by pressing the menu button on the remote or TV.
If the menu options appear, there is no problem with the TV’s power source. If the menu option does not appear, make sure the TV is properly plugged into an electrical source. Then try the menu option once more.
3. Power Cycle
Power cycling your Vizio TV can resolve tons of issues with your TV. Below is a guide on how to power-cycle your Vizio TV:
- Unplug and disconnect the TV’s power cord from the outlets.
- For about 10 seconds, press and hold the TV’s power button.
- Release your hold on the power button, then turn on the television.
When you finish this process, your Vizio TV should turn on. This option is also useful if your Vizio TV refuses to turn off. You could try power-cycling it, as suggested above. Unplug it from its power source, wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord. Alternately, you can try to set it. If it doesn’t, try some of the other suggestions below.
4. Factory Reset
It’s possible that your Vizio TV isn’t turning on because of a glitch or bug. You can resolve this by performing a factory reset on your television. Here’s how to start and finish a factory reset on your Vizio TV:
- Locate the power button on the TV – it’s usually on the side.
- Hold down the volume and source buttons at the same time.
- After a few seconds, the TV will display a prompt to press and hold the input button.
- For about 10 seconds, press and hold the input button.
Your Vizio TV will automatically reboot and go into factory reset mode. Note that the reboot and reset process takes about a minute or two. Once the process is complete, your Vizio Tv will go back to its settings on the day of purchase.
READ ALSO: How To Fix Vizio TV Wont Turn On White Light is On Issue? (8 Easy Fixes)
5. Check Power Cord
If your TV power cord is not properly or loosely plugged into a power source, the TV connection may be affected. That is, a faulty or frayed power cord can cause problems with the television. Check that the connection to the TV and the power outlet are both fully and correctly plugged in.
It should be noted that a slightly loose connection on the power cord to the power source can disrupt the flow of electricity to the TV, causing it to not turn on. To resolve this issue, unplug the power cord from the back of the TV and then reconnect and plug it properly. Check that the power cable is securely connected to the TV.
6. Switch Outlet
The problem could be with your power source outlet. Check the power outlet on the wall to see if it is operational. You can try plugging in another device; if it does not turn on, the power outlet may be defective.
Connect your TV’s power cord to a different outlet to try another power outlet. Then try to turn on the television. If the TV turns on, the problem is with the old outlet.
7. Unplug the TV from Wall
The simplest way to get your Vizio TV to power on again is to unplug it from the wall socket and replug it. Unplug the TV power cord from the socket, wait a minute or two, and then reconnect the power cord to the socket. This procedure enables the TV to perform an automatic hard reset.
8. Make use of a polarized power cord
One user reported that their Vizio OLED TV would not turn on, and the problem was resolved after they swapped the non-polarized out-of-the-box power cord for a polarized power cord.
A polarised power cord is quite cheap and could solve the problem if everything else fails. The Pwr Extra Long 12 Ft 2 Prong Polarized-Power-Cord is a popular choice; make sure it fits!
9. Turn Off CEC
In addition to changing the TV cord, you can set your Vizio TV to ECO mode. Make sure that HDMI CEC is turned off on your Playstation and Xbox consoles. To disable CEC, press the Menu button >> navigate down to System or Settings >> navigate down to CEC >> click OK on CEC and select Off.
10. It’s time to enlist the help of experts
If nothing seems to be working for your Vizio TV, it’s time to contact a professional. If you still have your warranty, make use of it. Vizio technicians will usually either replace the TV’s motherboard/power board or send you a new TV. However, if you’re confident in your TV-fixing abilities, proceed to the next fix below.
Alternative Video: Vizio TV Wont Turn On
TROUBLESHOOTING A VIZIO TV THAT HAS THE STANDBY LIGHT ON
Here are some potential reasons why your Vizio TV won’t turn on even though the standby light is on.
Step 1: Examine the Remote
If you can’t turn on your Vizio TV with the remote, there may be nothing wrong with it. Instead, the problem could be with the remote.
- One of the most common problems is that the batteries are nearing or have died. Replace the batteries and turn on the TV again to see if this is the case.
- If nothing is happening, remove the batteries from the remote and press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds. Reinsert the batteries and try turning on the TV after pressing the Power button for 15 seconds.
TROUBLESHOOTING A VIZIO TV THAT HAS THE STANDBY LIGHT OFF
If your TV’s standby light isn’t on, the red light in the corner that’s on even when the TV isn’t, then you most likely have an issue with a lack of power.
Step 1: Check the Vizio TV’s Power Source
To start, checking the power is the next logical step.
- The first thing you should do is check to see if pressing the Menu button produces any results. The television is occasionally turned on but displays a blank screen. A Menu button is included on both the remote and the television. To see if the menu appears, press both buttons (but not simultaneously).
- If the menu test fails, the TV may be turned off, and the power source may be faulty. Before attempting to turn on your TV again, make sure it is fully plugged into a power outlet.
Step 2: Check the Condition of the Power Cord
The thing that can often prevent your TV from turning on is a loose or damaged cord. A loose power cord sometimes causes problems for even the most technically savvy among us.
- Check that the cord is properly connected to both the power outlet and the TV, and that both connections are plugged in. Even a slightly loose power cord connection can disrupt the flow of electricity to your TV, and it’s not always obvious that your TV has been disconnected from its power source. Check to see if the cord is properly plugged into the outlet. It’s a good idea to unplug it and then plug it back in to make sure it’s secure. Another option is to plug the cord into another outlet.
- After you’ve checked the wall outlet, make sure the power cord is securely connected to the back of the TV. A loose power wire connection occurs more frequently than you might think, particularly if you have children or pets who run around the TV, or if you have a long run to the power strip. Longer runs mean tighter cords that can come undone when rotating or moving the TV. To ensure that the power cord is fully inserted and secure, unplug it from the TV and plug it back in.
If checking the remote for functionality, testing the TV’s power source (outlet), and inspecting the TV’s power cord doesn’t solve the problem, there are a few more things you can try to resolve the issue.
Step 3: Power Cycle Your Vizio TV
If you suspect that you are experiencing power issues, the first thing you should try is power cycling your Vizio TV, which is accomplished by pressing the power button on your TV. Do Vizio televisions have buttons?
In summary, all buttons are located on the back and differ depending on the model or version. Power cycling your Vizio TV is a simple process.
It’s simple and goes like this:
- Unplug your television from the outlet and leave it unplugged.
- Locate the power button on the back of your Vizio TV; the buttons are well-hidden, so you’ll have to look closely.
- To drain any reserve energy, press and hold the button on your TV for about 10 seconds.
- Restart your television.
In many cases, the preceding steps are likely to be effective. If none of the procedures work the first time, try again, this time holding down the power button for at least 10 seconds. Often, this will be sufficient to repair your TV and allow you to resume your relaxing.
Step 4: Call Vizio Customer Support
If none of the above solutions work for you, it may be time to contact Vizio customer service. They might have instructions for your specific Vizio TV model. Calling tech support may resolve the issue, but there may be other issues with your TV that you cannot resolve on your own.
The Vizio customer service team may be able to assist you in resolving the issue by working with you over the phone or by instructing you on how to send in your TV for repair.
Step 5: Replace Internal Components
You can troubleshoot the boards to identify potential power problems if you understand electronics and how they work.
- A failing power supply board is frequently the cause of a Vizio TV that won’t turn on. Capacitors, transistors, and diodes are the most common components to fail on a power supply board.
- If the Vizio TV has proper power outputs but does not appear to turn on, the most likely cause is a faulty T-Con board. Simply put, the Timed Controller Board is in charge of relaying signals to the LCD or LED screen. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the gist of it.
- If you have never disassembled a Vizio TV, or any other TV for that matter, it is best to leave the repairs to a certified repair technician. Disassembly is very precise, detailed, and dangerous! With all those tight and brittle wire connections and high-power circuits, one wrong move can damage the TV or yourself.
PLEASE NOTE: Servicing your Vizio TV is done entirely at your own risk. Box20 and Alphr.com are not responsible for the user’s actions or outcomes. Your actions may cause electrical damage and possibly shock!
VIZIO TV WON’T TURN ON AND POWER LIGHT FADES OFF?
Does your Vizio TV not turn on when you use both the remote and the physical button? If this is the case, the IR receiver cannot be the source of the problem. This leaves two options: a faulty power board or a faulty system board.
- When unplugging and replugging your Vizio TV, keep an eye out for the TV power light. If it flashes on and off quickly, you’re getting power, so the issue is most likely with your system board.
- If, on the other hand, it does not turn on and off quickly, your power board may be faulty. Unplug and re-plug the device several times to test your results.
- You’ll need to disassemble your TV to address both issues. You must obtain both the etched board model number and the sticker model number from your power or system board before purchasing an exact match.
- You must exercise caution because Vizio TVs of the same model frequently have different parts due to product revisions, so it is critical to obtain an exact match.
As previously stated, your Vizio TV may not turn on for a variety of reasons. If you try all of the above suggestions and your TV still does not turn on, there could be a problem with the internal components of the TV. This is a technical problem, and you may need to call a technician to disassemble and repair it.
You can also contact Vizio customer service. They are in the best position to assist you in resolving the problem or, in the worst-case scenario, to retrieve and repair the television for you.
FAQs About Vizio TV Turn On Issue
Why won’t my Vizio TV turn on but the light is on?
If your Vizio TV won’t turn on but the white light is on, it’s likely that the remote isn’t working properly. Remove and re-insert the batteries to reset the remote. Replace the batteries in your remote control with new ones. Additionally, try using a different remote to turn on your Vizio TV.
Is there a reset button on a Vizio TV?
The TV will restart and the Setup App procedure will begin. SmartCast TVs may also be reset by pressing and holding the input and volume down buttons on the TV’s side. After 10-15 seconds, a banner will appear instructing you to press and hold the input button to restore the TV to factory settings.
What to do when your VIZIO TV turns on but the screen is black?
Restart the television. Unplug the power cord from the back of the TV or the wall outlet (whichever is more convenient). Press and hold the power button on the side of the TV for 5 seconds. Reattach the power cord and turn on the television.