4K or not 4K, that is the question, isn’t it?
Well, no, not really – if you have the cash and you want to be kind to your eyeballs and your brain, 4K is absolutely the way to go when it comes to your TV.
4K is an image standard of as yet unparalleled clarity for TV. We’re talking about 3,840 x 2,160 pixels, or about 8.3 million pixels all told. That’s about four times as many pixels as in standard HD TVs.
It’s like you’ve had laser eye surgery, without the lasers. It’s an astonishing thing, and it’ll give you years of intense high definition, spellbinding pleasure.
But not if you don’t have the right cables. Because 4K is like any super-cool stallion of a system – it needs careful handling to deliver at its best.
But if you’re going to buy the best coaxial cable to get the best from your 4K TV? Sit back, tune in and let us take the hassle out of your cable choice. We’ve collected the best coaxial cable for 4K. All you have to do is choose.
Best Coaxial Cable For 4K TV In The Market
1. AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable
- HDMI A Male to A Male Cable: Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video and Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Connects Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, XBox One, Xbox 360, computers, and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers, and more
- Cable allows you to share an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable
- Meets HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- Cable Length: 6 feet (1.8 meters); Pack of 3
Yep. We were surprised too. There’s something almost like Target beating Gucci about this result. But there’s some logic too. The AmazonBasics range has an odd reputation, and as such its business model is founded on three things:
- Selling products that absolutely do the things you need them to do.
- Doing them well enough to head off the otherwise inevitable reaction, “Well, what can you expect, it’s AmazonBasics.”
- And providing very many people with the products they need, at a value price.
Pause for a moment and ask yourself what more you need. Sure, there are things that are nice to have on top of those three basic points. But what do you actually need beyond them?
Thought not. Beyond this, the AmazonBasics PBH-22671 coaxial cable actually has some extras to recommend it above the rest of the market leaders.
There’s little to no loss with the Amazon coaxial cable because it’s coated in pure copper for conduction. Anyone who knows the chemistry of coaxials will be smiling right about now.
It’s strongly braided to avoid unraveling or damage when twisted – who needs a cable that gives up the ghost of a signal at the first sign of cable twist, after all? And it adds gold connectors to its offering, to help maintain the quality of the signal from end to end.
Again, with coaxial cables, the quality is mostly down to the chemistry of signal maintenance. The less you lose, the clearer, brighter, and more utterly mind-boggling, your 4K picture will be.
The AmazonBasics cable is high purity too, which means you can use it to connect equipment compatible with RCA sockets, and for interfacing composite video.
The cable is over 7.5 feet long, which means you’ll have plenty of options wherever you place your TV and box (or other coaxially-connected equipment). And let’s not forget, the AmazonBasics cables come in packs of three, often for the same price as just one or two of some other leading brands.
That’s a fact that either gives you lots more connection around your 4Ktastic house or gives you spares to deploy at a moment’s notice in the event of signal failure.
All things considered, while there are some great coaxial cables for 4k out there, you can’t really out-do the AmazonBasics PBH-22671 coaxial cable for quality, versatility, cable quality, or price.
2. Mediabridge HDMI Cable
- INDIVIDUALLY HAND-TESTED: Every cable is checked right from the assembly line to ensure it performs at peak level. Unlike many competing brands that test random cables from large batches, we examine each cable at its manufactured length, between devices capable of supporting 4K (2160p) @ 60Hz.
- PREMIUM BUILD QUALITY: 28AWG pure Copper conductors, tri-shielding & a gold-plated full metal jacket provide optimal sound & picture quality that’s true to the source.
- WHEN WE SAY 60Hz, WE MEAN IT: Most basic 4K players & TV’s today only support up to 30Hz, which is quite the downgrade compared to 60Hz. Fortunately, our cables are built with the highest specs to make sure they work with even the most premium devices. Note: Due to varying HDMI standards, no cable on the market can guarantee universal 60Hz compatibility.
- SUPPORT FOR ALL: Fear not, for it supports all HDMI 2.0b functions including 18Gbps transfer speed, 4K, UHD, 3D, 48-Bit Deep Color, HDR video & ARC. 28AWG pure Copper conductors, tri-shielding & a gold-plated full metal jacket provide optimal sound & picture quality that’s true to the source.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We will catch virtually all manufacturing defects with our hand-testing process. For any concerns that may not surface until later, you’re still backed by our Limited Lifetime Warranty. We also have friendly, USA-based customer support...If you even need it!
For many users, the likes of the AmazonBasic will do everything conceivably necessary and give them enough 4K action to cross their eyes and scramble their brains. If you need more, you need Mediabridge.
Firstly, in terms of pure length, the Mediabridge HDMI cable is available at everything from a neat 3 feet all the way up to a room-spanning 25 feet, with options at 6 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet. That gives you lots more options than your common TV set-up.
Then, in terms of chemistry, the cable’s inner core is made of high-quality copper-rich steel, to transmit in both 4K and 3D. Add to that the fact that the cable comes with a full metal jacket to resist breakage at the point of most vulnerability, a braided aluminum shield, and even a Mylar-backed foil sheath to maintain conductivity and signal strength.
Naturally, the Mediabridge cable has gold connectors too, to help deliver the full 4K signal end to end. Where some HDMI cables drop from 60Hz signal transmission to 30Hz – resulting in the less vivid picture than you paid for – Mediabridge claims its cables can deliver 4K and 3D at the full 60Hz, giving you everything you need for clarity and a blown mind.
While that’s pretty unbeatable in terms of 4K, Mediabridge cables are also able to deliver all the HDMI 2.0b functions – including 18Gbps per second transfer speed, 3D, UHD, 48-bit Deep Color, and more.
Mediabridge HDMI cable comes in two varieties – the Ultra series, which is thick and durable, or for those with more convoluted set-ups, the Flex, which is thin and flexible.
Mediabridge hand-tests every single cable it sends out, rather than batch-testing, meaning there’s much less likely that when it arrives with you, your coaxial cable will be a dud. In the rare event that a broken or ineffective cable gets through individual checking, the company also slaps a limited lifetime guarantee on every cable it sells, so you’re never left holding a useless cable in your hands and out of pocket too.
Mediabridge runs its cable business almost like a complete platform with the standard HDMI cable as a gateway cable, and a whole world of alternatives available.
Every cable comes with the same guarantees of high performance, delivery, flexibility, and quality. So, if the standard isn’t good enough for your needs, you could do a lot worse than switching to Mediabridge.
3. SecurOMax HDMI Cable
- 4K UHD, 18 Gbps, 28 AWG, Category 2, High Speed, HDMI Cable (A Male to A Male)
- Supports 4K 60Hz, HDCP 2.2, HDR, UHD 4K 2160p, QHD 1440p, HD 2K 1080p, 3D and HDTV
- Oxygen-free bare copper wiring; Braided cord; 24K gold-plated shielded connectors
- Ethernet and Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Length: 6 feet (1.82 meters)
The SecurOMax HDMI Cable comes close to the Mediabridge in many respects, but can’t quite match or top it. An excellent cable for translating TV antenna signals into crisp images, it’s relatively straightforward in build.
The cable’s inner heart is bare copper wire, for good conductivity in its basic form. There are the gold connectors that are more or less standard on this list, and it comes in either a 3 feet or 6 feet option, giving you choices on your mounting and connections.
Like the Mediabridge, it comes with triple shielding to lower the signal-to-noise ratio – more signal, less static. And it claims to support 4K signal (important caveat alert) ‘up to’ 60Hz, without ever guaranteeing that’s what you get.
There’s a more ‘what you see is what you get’ feeling about the SecurOMax cable – no options for thick and durable or thin and flexible, it’s just what it is. So, think ahead about the kind of set-up you’re going to use it with.
Overall though, the SecurOMax earns a place on our list for getting a lot of things right and delivering sweet, sweet 4K images for lots of people.
4. Monoprice 115428 Certified Premium HDMI Cable
- These Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables are the only HDMI cables to be tested and certified by HDMI Authorized Test Centers to ensure they support all features in the latest HDMI specification.
- Comprehensive Testing: Each cable length has been individually tested and certified to deliver the full 18Gbps bandwidth with a high level of EMI resistance.
- Dual Video Stream: This High Speed HDMI Cable supports the simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to a single display screen.
- Supports SA-CD, DVD-Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and other high-definition audio standards
- Supports Deep Color, up to 16-bits per channel, including Sony's x.v.Color standard Supports extended CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) commands and functions, the HDMI Ethernet Channel, and the Audio Return Channel features
Monoprice is a lesser-known name in the cable world (Yes, absolutely, it’s a world. There are cable cars and everything). But its HDMI cable has received lots of praise for its coaxial cable for 4K.
A thinner, more flexible cable than many on the market, there’s agreeable flexibility in its sales structure too – it’s available in 3 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet, 15 feet, and 25 feet versions to support all your possible set-ups. It’s also the first cable on our list to trouble itself with aesthetics, coming in a white version as well as the standard black.
Naturally, there are gold connectors on the Monoprice cable, to help maintain the signal integrity all the way to your screen.
The Monoprice cable has been tested with the new Samsung and LG Dual Video Streaming technology and delivers its functionality smoothly.
As well as delivering 4K up to 60Hz, the Monoprice coaxial cable has won praise for its audio use, giving it multiple lives and options. Each cable has been individually tested, rather than batch-tested, to minimize the chance of cable failure.
The cable comes with a lifetime warranty and a 30-day return option if the cable doesn’t deliver the 4K you’re looking for, so there’s no danger in buying from Monoprice.
5. Fusion4K High Speed 4K HDMI Cable
- 4K ULTRA HD RESOLUTION (4096x2160 and 3840x2160) provides maximum data throughput to work perfectly with new 4k ultra HD televisions. 2160p, 4K@60Hz, Chroma 4:4:4, High Definition, HD 2K 1080p, QHD 1440p, HDCP 2.2, Gsync, HPD (Hot Plug Detection Signal), ARC (Audio Return Channel).
- 18 Gbps ULTIMATE HIGH SPEED RATED providing enough bandwidth for the highest quality 4k ultra HD video & audio home theater or gaming experience. ULTRA 3D COMBINED WITH 32 AUDIO CHANNELS makes every sound come to life in a dramatic way. Supports the latest audio specs including Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X.
- FUSION 4K HDMI CABLE CONNECTS 4K BLU-RAY and DVD PLAYERS, SMART 3D, MEDIA PC & the latest streaming devices.
- HDMI 4K CABLE SUPPORTING HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0b which increases bandwidth and is 4k and Ultra HD compatible. Supports both Mirror and Extended modes. HDR (High Dynamic Range) provides wider and richer range of colors, much brighter whites, and much deeper, darker blacks. High resolution, 48-bit color.
- HEAVY DUTY, FULLY SHIELDED with an unconditional warranty. Backward compatible with HDMI 1.4, 1.3, and 1.2.
Last on our list, but by only very few criteria at least, the Fusion4K High-Speed HDMI Cable more or less gives you everything it claims to deliver, but with a couple of added bonuses along the way.
The most versatile offering on our list so far, it’s available in a wide range of lengths, so you can make your set-up work with minimal extra cabling. From just 1.5 feet all the way up to 50 feet, Fusion4K will happily sell you as much or as little cable as you genuinely need.
It will also sell you 40 and 50 feet ‘Active’ cables, which work on a larger scale for big presentations, concert halls, and the like. That means the choice of cable is down to you and the particular use you’re looking to make of it.
Heavily shielded to minimize the signal-to-noise ratio and give you top image and sound clarity, Fusion4K claims its cable delivers a steady 4K image at 60Hz, as well as all the other things that level of connectivity implies – 18Gbps transfer rate, HDMI 2.0b functionality and more.
Naturally, the cables come with all-gold connectors to maintain and transfer the signal and/or data with high integrity.
Best Coaxial Cable Buying Guide
When buying coaxial cable for 4K, there are a few things to keep in mind before you click the ‘Buy’ button.
1. Decide On Your Geek-Level
If you’re going for 4K, it’s safe to say you’re interested in stepping up from standard HD. But be aware of your set-up, what it needs – and what it doesn’t. There’s no need to spend money on 50 feet of active cabling if you’re just looking to connect your Apple TV and marvel at clear-as-life images.
If that’s what you’re buying cable for, the AmazonBasics is seriously good enough to make your eyes boggle. If you need something super-shielded, delivering true 4k at 60Hz, that’s out there for you too – the Mediabridge is a particularly stable offering, and has the sense of entering a cable program that can take care of your needs in the future too.
If you’re going for big presentations, you’re going to need to look at something like the Fusion4k, with its ‘Active’ cabling that can deliver you full-on geek-out 4K over a large space.
2. Look Around You
As well as deciding the level of hardcore construction you need in your HDMI cabling, take a look at your personal set-up, the geography of the room or rooms you’re dealing with, and buy accordingly.
If you’re dealing with tight spaces, go for thinner, more flexible coaxial cabling, so as to connect your equipment without too much pressure, stress, or too many kinks in the system.
If you have a good amount of space, go for longer, sturdier cables, as they’ll give you more options on how you order your set-up, both now and in the future.
3. Don’t Be Afraid To Mix And Match
Some coaxial cables are better for some things than others. Don’t be afraid to try coaxial cables with a better reputation for audio or data transfer than 4K visuals for case-specific connections.
But when you’re looking for the pure 4k 60Hz wonder, accept very few substitutes – and only for very good reasons.
4. Always Read The Comments
Beware outright generalities in coaxial cables for 4K. Some are better for some uses, others are better for others. Our list of the best coaxial cable for 4K is a great starting place from which you can narrow the field towards finding the right coaxial cable for you, but always be aware that your use is your use.
Wherever possible, look for information from people who have used coaxial cables for the precise use you intend to make of them.
Look for differences across cable lengths, audio applications, gaming applications, video applications, domestic applications, and public ones, depending on the use you’re going to make of your coaxial cables.
When researching the right coaxial cable for 4k, the closer you can get to reviews that specifically replicate the circumstances of your set-up, the more likely it is that the review will be useful to you, and its recommendations will lead you towards – or steer you away from – particular coaxial cables.
FAQs About The Best Coaxial Cable For 4K
How important is it, really, to use high-quality coaxial cables?
You can have the shiniest tin cans in history, but it’s the quality of the string in your tin can phone that counts. It’s the thing that carries the signal from the source to the receiver. The same is true in the high-tech business of coaxial cables for 4K.
Are most coaxial cables for 4K the same?
Yes…and no. Coaxial cables are not magic wands for picture or audio improvement – everything has to be upgraded for the upgrade to shine through. That said, some coaxial cables for 4K are better than others. Look for a high copper content in the core of the cable.
Is the construction the most important thing about coaxial cables for 4K?
Mostly. If the construction is strong and well done, you’re likely looking at a great coaxial cable for 4K. But what makes the best buy also depends on you – do you want particularly flexible cables? Do you want options on a whole range of coaxial cables?