Working with Google WiFi necessitates the use of the best Google WiFi modem available.
But what does a Google WiFi modem look like?
You must understand what you require from your modem in terms of speed and features. You should also consider speed, compatibility, and other features that may influence your decision to purchase a modem.
We understand that there is a lot to consider when shopping for a modem, so we have broken it down for you. We’ve reviewed the best Google modems below.
THE IDEAL APPLICATION
Make sure your current internet setup is ready for the Google Wifi before purchasing it. Ideally, you’ll want it to be the only router in the house, connected directly to your broadband modem.
If you already have a router, unplug it and replace it with Google Wifi. If your service provider provided you with a combo box, which includes both a modem and a Wi-Fi router in one package, you should first return it and replace it with just a modem.
While you can connect the Google Wifi to an existing router to share the internet, certain advanced features, such as port-forwarding, will not function.
Devices connected to the original router’s network and those connected to Google Wifi will not be able to communicate with each other in this case — you may not be able to beam your phone screen to an Apple TV or a Chromecast, for example — so make sure all of your devices are connected to Google Wifi.
You can also use Google Wifi in bridge mode, which allows devices connected to it to join an existing network. However, in this case, all of the cool and unique features would be disabled.
WHAT ARE THE MUST-HAVE GOOGLE WI-FI FEATURES?
The speed potential is severely limited by what the ISP allows, but you must still look for a modem that provides the maximum speed.
Purchasing a modem with a faster speed than what you currently have will meet your future needs. Furthermore, as technology advances, you will not need to purchase a new modem.
2. Bonding of Channels
When shopping for a Google Modem, the first feature to look for is channel bonding. Channel bonding is a technology that connects two radio channels that do not share a frequency band.
As a result, you will have more bandwidth, and your internet will be able to handle higher speeds. This is not only a feature found in routers, but it is also extremely important in modems.
3. DOCSIS Specification
It is critical to take the modem’s DOCSIS standard into account.
DOCSIS 3.1 is the fastest modem standard, but many other modems use the DOCSIS 3.0 standard. The 3.1 version is faster than the 3.0 version, but even if you buy the latter, you will get good performance.
4. Compatibility with Your Internet Service Provider
To put it simply, your modem will never work with an incompatible ISP. Modems are typically compatible with either cable internet or DSL; however, a cable modem cannot be used with DSL and vice versa.
Before purchasing a modem, you must ensure compatibility. Remember that if you have fiber internet, you will not require a modem because fiber does not use modems.
Security features can help keep malware out of your system and keep people on your network from accessing things they shouldn’t.
You’ll need a modem that will automatically update itself when new malware or viruses are discovered. As a result, you are less likely to become a victim of a new type of malware while you are unaware. The number of security features you require is entirely up to you.
8 BEST MODEM FOR YOUR GOOGLE WI-FI
1. Cable Modem Netgear CM700
- Up to 1.4Gbps download and upload speed. Separate router required for WiFi. 32x8 channel bonding . Cable Broadband Internet service: Please check your cable Internet service provider web site for data speed tier compatibility.Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, or other operating systems running a TCP/IP network. Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
Cable Modem Netgear CM700
- Editor’s Choice: Best Modem for Google WiFi & Google Nest
- The Netgear CM700 is the best Google WiFi modem on the market right now.
- This is a dependable modem with excellent performance and features.
The CM700 has a sturdy design and is larger than other tower designs you may have seen. Tower designs typically have better ventilation, but because this one is large, it must be kept in a well-ventilated space.
The modem’s base is less sturdy than others and maybe a little top-heavy, so use caution. This modem has one Gigabit Ethernet port, which allows you to easily connect to your router. It does not have any additional ports, so you will have to rely on your router if you want to connect to any gaming system or HDTV.
In terms of performance, the CM700 is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 32×8 channel bonding to provide even greater speed capabilities. It can handle HD streaming without issue, but it is not designed for 4K video.
The modem should only take 5 minutes to set up because you only need to plug it in and either go through your computer or call your ISP to get it fully operational. Furthermore, the CM700 has a maximum download speed of 500 Mbps, which is extremely fast for a modem.
It should be able to provide you with all of the speeds you require from your Google WiFi. It can handle high-speed cable internet at speeds of up to 1.4 Gbps, which means it will be able to make the best use of whatever speeds your ISP provides.
|500 Mbps max download speeds||If not used in a well-ventilated area, it has the potential to overheat.|
|32×8 channel bonding DOCSIS 3.0|
|Gigabit Ethernet port|
2. Cable Modem Motorola MB7621
- Model MB7621 is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 650 Mbps. Wirecutter rates this “the best modem for most people.” A Full-Band Capture Digital Tuner ensures faster, more reliable Internet.
- This cable modem's 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to a WiFi router, computer, HDTV, game station, or streaming video device. Great for use with Whole Home WiFi or Mesh networks like eero, Google WiFi, and Orbi. (This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability. The Motorola MG7315, MG7540, MG7550, and MG7700 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service.Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, BrightHouse, CableOne, SuddenLink, RCN, and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 156 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MB7621 has no phone jack.)
- Setup is fast and easy using the quick start guide.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A 2-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
Cable Modem Motorola MB7621
- The Motorola MB7621 is a good cable modem for Google WiFi. This DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem has excellent speeds and features.
The Motorola MB7621 has the standard Motorola design, which means it is a tower with a lot of venting down the sides. This will assist in keeping it as cool as possible. Its compact design makes it easy to conceal, so it won’t take up much space.
The MC7621 has one Gigabit Ethernet port for connecting your modem to a wireless router or a Google WiFi hotspot. Most routers include extra ports, so if that’s something you’ll need for your devices, look for it in the router you choose. It also includes a Full-Band Capture Digital Tuner for faster, more reliable internet.
The MB7621 has excellent modem speeds, reaching up to 650 Mbps. If you have anyone on your network who streams a lot and frequently, 650 Mbps is ideal. It even allows you to stream multiple things at once if you have more than one person or device that requires streaming at the same time.
The MC7621 is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so it’s not as future-proof as a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, but it’ll do the job just fine. It employs a quick start guide to make things simpler than ever before.
It also uses the Broadcom chipset rather than the Puma chipset, which eliminates any security concerns. This modem’s setup is quick and simple, so you should have no trouble getting online. It even includes a Quick Start guide to help you get started quickly.
|One Gigabit Ethernet port||We didn’t come across any.|
|Speeds up to 650 Mbps|
3. The Google Wi-Fi System Is the Ideal Companion
- Google Wifi is a scalable flexible mesh Wifi system that blankets your home in reliable coverage and keeps buffering at bay; 1 Google Wifi point replaces your router and additional points expand your network to keep the connection fast in every room
- Google Wifi gives you whole home coverage; 1 Pack covers up to 1500 square feet and 3 Pack covers up to 4500 square feet; points work together to create a mesh network for more coverage
- Intelligently works behind the scenes to make sure your Wifi remains fast so you can stream with speed
- Simple setup in a few steps; use the Google Home app to create your network and get online in minutes
- Parental controls let you manage screen time, restrict certain kinds of adult content, and pause Wifi to specific devices on your mesh network whenever you want
The Google Wi-Fi System
- The Google Wi-Fi system is a novel internet-connected solution that provides consistent Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home.
- As a result, it eliminates all dead zones in your home and provides quick buffering, streaming, and downloading.
This Wi-Fi system will work with your internet service and modem to replace your existing router.
This is due to the modem’s compatibility with the majority of internet service providers, including Time Warner, Verizon Fios, and Comcast. A single Wi-Fi point can provide coverage of up to 1,500 square feet, and three Wi-Fi points can provide coverage of up to 4,500 square feet.
The Google Wi-Fi system includes advanced Network Assistance technology, which ensures that you always have a fast and smooth connection by selecting the best channel and fastest band for all of your devices.
It comes with a simple app that allows you to quickly connect and have complete control over your network settings.
You can always prioritize devices, see connected devices, and set Wi-Fi limits on children’s or guests’ devices with the help of this app. There is also a family control option, which allows you to assign data to different family members based on their needs.
|Every location has a strong signal.||A little pricey|
|Network Assistance Technology allows for a quick connection.|
4. Modem Netgear Nighthawk CM1200
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 2Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers may change over time. Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- Works with any WiFi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM1200 replaces your cable modem saving you up to 168 dollars/yr in equipment rental fees
- Four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, separate WiFi router, printer, game box, and other devices
- Modem technology: Engineered with 32x8 channel bonding, OFDM 2x2, and DOCSIS 3.1
Modem Netgear Nighthawk CM1200
The Netgear CM1200 is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, which is faster than DOCSIS 3.0 modems.
From the outside, the CM1200 appears to be a sleek tower modem. It’s black and will be very easy to conceal if that’s what you prefer. The CM1200 has two 1 Gigabit ports and one 2 Gigabit port for the fastest wired internet speeds possible, making it simple to connect your router.
It will work with any WiFi router, but the Ethernet ports can also be used to connect an HDTV or gaming device.
Because this modem was designed for speed, it should come as no surprise that it supports speeds of up to 2 Gbps. Of course, this is dependent on the available speeds from your ISP, but it will still make the best use of the speeds that you can get.
In addition to the incredible internet speeds, it also includes heavy-duty 4K HD streaming and MU-MIMO technology. This means that the modem is already designed to handle multiple users online at the same time, even if each user is streaming content.
The modem installation should take no more than 5 minutes. It enables you to activate the modem using either a computer set up with an Ethernet cable or by calling your ISP for assistance.
|Simple installation||It is slightly more brittle than other modems.|
|Design of an upright tower|
5. Cable Modem ARRIS SURFboard SB6190
- A Trusted Name in Home Connectivity: Better connectivity, better speed. The ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem is designed to bring you better connectivity, increase your network capability and provide faster streaming and downloading throughout your home. From a trusted brand with over 260 million modems sold and growing.
- Save Money: Own your modem and save. Reduce your cable bill up to $168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings vary by cable service provider). Certified for use with most U.S. cable internet service providers. For a complete list see additional details below.
- Modem Technology: DOCSIS 3.0 is a reliable, broadly available, and affordable technology that delivers high speed internet to your home devices.
- Simple and Secure Set-up: Plug-in the device, download the SURFboard Central App, and follow the instructions to activate the modem. Connect to a Wi-Fi router for networking.
- Compatibility: The SURFboard SB6190 is compatible with major U.S. cable internet providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity and others. It's approved for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps. Check your Internet Service Provider (ISP) website to confirm compatibility.
Cable Modem ARRIS SURFboard SB6190
- The ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 is another excellent modem that works with Google WiFi.
- This is a basic modem that will do the job without all of the bells and whistles, but it is still a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, which is the most recent release in the DOCSIS platforms and, as a result, one of the fastest modems on the market.
The SURFboard SB6190 has a larger design than some of the others we’ve looked at. It makes it slightly more difficult to conceal, but it also makes it appear sturdier as if it would be much more difficult to break than some of the more delicate modems on the market.
It does not include a VoIP phone adapter, but it does include a Gigabit Ethernet port for connecting to your computer or a router. That is, it will not work with a voice system such as Xfinity Voice. However, it should work just fine with Google WiFi or Google Nest.
In terms of performance, the SURFboard SB6190 works well at speeds of up to 400 Mbps, making it slightly faster than the average modem.
You should be able to stream without issue at 400 Mbps. In fact, this modem is ideal for UHD movie streaming, gaming, and allowing multiple devices to stream at the same time, which is most likely what you require.
Furthermore, this modem is simple to set up and should be ready to use in a matter of minutes. It will self-activate your network, requiring no effort on your part and getting you up and running quickly.
|There is only one Gigabit Ethernet port.||Speeds of up to 400 Mbps are possible.|
|32 downstream bonded channels and 8 upstream bonded channels|
6. Mikrotik Routerboard RB2011UiAS – Packed with Features
- RouterBOARD 2011UiAS-2HnD has most features and interfaces from all our Wireless routers
- It’s powered by the new Atheros 600MHz 74K MIPS network processor, has 128MB RAM, five Gigabit LAN ports, five Fast Ethernet LAN ports and SFP cage
- Also, it features powerful dual chain 2.4Ghz (2312-2732MHz depending on country regulations) 802.11bgn wireless AP, RJ45 serial port, USB port and RouterOS L5 license, as well as desktop case with power supply and two 4dBi Omni antennas
- RouterBOARD 2011UAS-2HnD-IN comes with desktop enclosure, LCD panel and power supply
- The RB2011Ui also has passive PoE output capability on the last port (ETH10), this means you can power another device just by connecting it over regular Ethernet cable
Mikrotik Routerboard RB2011UiAS – Packed with Features
- The Mikrotik router board is a feature-rich device with multiple interfaces that precisely meet the needs of all wireless routers.
It is powered by the latest Atheros 600MHz network processor and has 128MB RAM, so you will never have any problems and will be able to perform flawlessly all of your online activities.
It has 5 Gigabit LAN ports, an SFP cage, and Ethernet ports for a secure connection. As a result, you can easily connect multiple devices and enjoy fast performance.
The best feature of this device is its dual-band 2.4 GHz, which allows you to achieve higher speeds with ease. It also has a USB port, an RJ45 serial port, and a RouterOS license. There’s also a desktop case for a reliable power supply and an LCD panel for a crisp display.
There is also a passive PoE output capability, which means you can easily power another device by connecting it to the Ethernet cable. It is a technologically advanced device designed to deliver lightning-fast performance.
It allows you to connect multiple devices at the same time and enjoy fast speeds for all of them. If you want a modem with multiple ports, this is the one to get.
|Excellent router with a plethora of configuration options.||It may be difficult to use at first for non-tech users.|
|High-quality components were used in the design.|
7. NETGEAR CM500 Cable Modem
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- Works with any wifi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
NETGEAR CM500 Cable Modem
- Enjoy 300Mbps cable plans with excellent speeds and dependability.
This model has an excellent design that ensures you have reliable internet access for as long as possible. Having DOCSIS 3.0 modem technology is ideal because it ensures long-term service.
Having gigabit speeds improves and enhances the performance of this model. Because it is compatible with most routers, including Google Nest and Google WiFi, you will enjoy using it.
As a result, it will be extremely fast and reliable. Furthermore, this model boasts dependability and long-term use. You will appreciate the vertical design that keeps the temperatures stable when the model is used.
As a result, it will provide the most dependable connection for the longest period of time. One feature that distinguishes this brand is its dependability in use. As a result, you can be confident that the model will not disappoint you.
It is compatible with all cable plan providers, ensuring high and consistent speeds for the longest period of time.
|Have a consistent and exceptional performance||The speeds are not particularly fast.|
8. Cable Modem TP-Link TC-7620
- ✔SAFETY: SupplySource Products manufactured with the highest quality materials and include multiple smart features safeguarding against IV - incorrect voltage, SC - short circuit, IO - internal overheating . Chargers are certificated with CE FCC etc.
- ✔POWER SPECS - Input Volt Range: 100-240V / Input Frequency : 50-60Hz / Cable Length: 4FT
- ✔NOTE: This Adapter is Brand New, High Quality Never USED (non-OEM). Please make sure the model of your device before buying
- ✔AC Adapter for TP-LINK DOCSIS 3.0 TC-7620 High Speed Cable Modem Power
- ✔WARRANTY: 30 Days Money Back Guarantee / 60 Days Free Exchange With Paid Return Label / 720 Days Anytime Worry-Free Warranty! Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
Cable Modem TP-Link TC-7620
- The TP-Link TC-7620 is the final modem that we will recommend.
- This high-speed modem includes the features you require as well as a high level of performance.
Starting with the TC-7620’s design, it is a tower design, similar to the other modems we’ve looked at here. Tower designs are preferred because they have a longer life than horizontal modems. This is due to improved overall ventilation for the modem, which keeps it as cool as possible.
Unfortunately, even with the tower design, this modem gets a little hot, so keep it somewhere cool. The modem has one Gigabit Ethernet port for connecting your router, computer, or another device. It also has well-defined LEDs that display the network status clearly.
The TC-7620 is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 16 x 4 channel bonding to increase overall modem speed. It is compatible with cable internet plans with speeds of up to 300 Mbps. It also has a maximum download speed of 686 Mbps, which is ideal for streaming.
This modem is simple to set up because you only need to plug it into your computer and then go through an online activation process. TP-technical Link’s support is excellent, so if you run into problems during setup, you will be able to get the assistance you require.
This modem also comes with a two-year warranty in the event that it fails sooner than expected.
|Bonding of 16 x 4 channels||Despite its tower design, this router generates a lot of heat.|
|Download data rates of up to 680 Mbps are possible.|
Alternative Video: Best Modem For Google Wi-Fi
HOW TO CONNECT GOOGLE WI-FI AND NEST TO THE MODEM?
30 minutes are required. The steps to connect your Google WiFi/ Nest to the best modem described above are as follows:
1. Connect your Nest or Google WiFi to a power outlet
The Google WiFi or Nest must be turned on for the process to begin. As a result, you must connect your Google WiFI or Nest to the power supply.
2. Connect your Google WiFi or Nest thermostat to your modem.
Connect your Google WiFi point to the modem with an Ethernet cable. If you purchased a three-piece unit, double-check the router.
3. Install the Google WiFi app.
Download the Google WiFi app for your Android or iPhone. You can use the app to easily set up and configure your Google WiFi point.
4. Open the Google WiFi app and configure the Google WiFi or Nest device that is connected.
After installing the app on your smartphone, log in and follow the prompts to connect to your Google WiFi point. Once activated, the app should be able to easily locate your Google WiFi or Nest.
5. Continue by logging in and configuring your Google Mesh device.
You can easily assign a username and password to your Wi-Fi connection by following the instructions in the app. You will also be able to check the settings and make changes to your configurations as needed.
Choosing the Best Google Wi-Fi Modem Buying Guide
It can be difficult to find a modem that works well with your Google Wi-Fi system.
To make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most important factors to consider when selecting the best modem for Google Wi-Fi.
A modem may have a variable number of ports. It is best to choose a modem with multiple ports so that you can easily connect multiple devices. Even if you’re on a tight budget, choose a modem with at least two ports.
It is best to have a speed test performed on any modem you intend to purchase. Purchasing a low-speed modem may result in immediate problems. If you are a tech-savvy individual, you may want to consider purchasing a Wi-Fi modem with a complicated setup.
However, if you are not a technical person, you should consider purchasing a modem with a simple setup and easy-to-use interface.
When choosing a modem, compatibility is one of the most important factors to consider. Your modem must be compatible with your ISP. Furthermore, it must be compatible with the majority of major cable service providers.
Spend enough time ensuring that your modem works well with your Google Wi-Fi; otherwise, your investment will be a waste.
Another important factor to consider when buying a modem is its speed. A fast internet connection is required for a variety of online activities such as playing online games, streaming movies, and so on.
If your ISP offers 600Mbps, you must choose a modem that supports the same speed. As a result, choose a modem that works well with your internet service plan. It will assist you in avoiding unnecessary costs and making the most of your current service.
5. Is it a single or dual-band?
When choosing a modem, you must choose between a single band and a dual band. There are also modems with internal routers available. Modems with routers eliminate the need to purchase two separate devices and take up less space in your home.
Purchasing a dual-band modem will provide you with increased speed and allow you to perform the majority of your tasks with ease. So, before you make a purchasing decision, figure out exactly what you want.
6. DOCSIS-letter acronym that stands for Digital
It is worthwhile to invest in a modem that is equipped with cutting-edge technology. As a result, when choosing a modem, keep DOCSIS standards in mind. DOCSIS is an acronym that stands for Data over Cable Service Interface Specification.
Modems in the DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 standards are available. It is best to purchase a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to ensure that your modem works quickly and meets your future needs.
Google Wi-Fi modems have downstream and upstream channels. The number of channels can range from 4 to 8 and 32. A modem with a greater number of channels can handle a greater volume of data more efficiently.
Choosing a modem with more channels will also allow you to get better performance from your modem and ISP.
Some modems have a limited warranty, whereas others have a lifetime warranty. Even if you do not intend to use the same modem indefinitely, it is best to choose one that comes with a lifetime warranty.
This will protect you from any problems that may arise during use. If a modem with a lifetime warranty is too expensive, you should buy one with at least a two-year warranty.
NETGEAR, TP-Link, Motorola, ARRIS, and others are among the top manufacturers of Google Wi-Fi modems. Always buy a modem from a reputable manufacturer.
Purchasing from a reputable brand provides you with excellent after-sales support, a high-quality product, and complete ease of installation.
Finally, decide how much you want to pay for your modem. When it comes to modems, not knowing how much you want to spend can cause confusion. You also don’t want to spend too much money.
As a result, it is prudent to establish a budget before selecting a modem. At the same time, consider the modem’s versatility, and speed.
At the end of the day, the Motorola MB7621 is our pick for the best Google WiFi modem. This is a modem with a small footprint, all of the features you could ever want, and the speeds you’ve been looking for.
Remember that when looking for the best modem available, you should consider what the best modem means to you, as it may differ from what someone else requires.
Before committing to one modem over another to work with Google WiFi, consider your budget, speeds, and what you will be doing online. At the end of the day, the Motorola MB7621 is our pick for the best Google WiFi modem.
This is a modem with a small footprint, all of the features you could ever want, and the speeds you’ve been looking for. Remember that when looking for the best modem available, you should consider what the best modem means to you, as it may differ from what someone else requires.
Before committing to one modem over another to work with Google WiFi, consider your budget, speeds, and what you will be doing online.
Frequently Ask Questions
Does Google WiFi assist Google in tracking you?
According to the Google Wi-Fi support page, Google Wi-Fi does not track the websites you visit or collect any content in your network. However, Wi-Fi collects information about devices collected, channels, and data usage in order to optimize the device and network.
Is a modem required for Google WiFi?
Yes, a modem is required for Google WiFi. This is due to the fact that Google WiFi is a router rather than a modem. As a result, a modem is required for your cable, DSL, or satellite internet connection.
Is Google WiFi the same as a router?
Google WiFi is, in fact, a router. By adding several satellites/points, the router provides a seamless extension of your network. The satellites resemble the Google WiFi device that will serve as your router. As a result, the satellites form a Mesh WiFi network system.