Fast internet connection in your smart devices is crucial no matter what walk of life you belong to, whether you’re a gamer, a businessperson, or a student.
We can’t afford to have an unstable or constantly dropping network because we do so much of our business online. Using an M2 wifi card is the most effective approach to solve this problem.
It’s a frequently used product for improving network performance. There is a large selection of M.2 on the market. But how do we select amongst them?
This article is designed to provide an answer to that query. If you intend to acquire an M.2 wireless card, this article will arm you with the necessary information to assist you in selecting the best wireless card for your needs.
We’ve compiled a list of the 7 best M2 Wi-fi cards, as well as a buying guide that contains some important considerations when choosing a wifi card.
Best M.2 Wifi Cards
What’s the difference between an M.2 and M.3 WiFi Card?
An M.2 WiFi card is a piece of hardware that enables your device to connect wirelessly to the internet. The card establishes a link with your modem or router in order to receive internet signals.
It’s made for computers that don’t have built-in WiFi. The M.2 WiFi card is a better option for Ethernet port connections because there are no wires involved. These cards are fresh and provide a fast and stable internet connection.
Additionally, they create a direct link with your router. As a result, data loss is reduced and throughput is boosted.
What to Look for in a WiFi Card with M.2 Ports?
In order to get the best internet connection, you must purchase a suitable M.2 WiFi card. Here are some of the qualities to look for when making your decision. Device Compatibility is a term that refers to the ability of two or more devices
It is vital to consider the compatibility of the device. M.2 WiFi cards are not compatible with many devices, particularly older generations. As a result, if you buy a card that isn’t compatible with your device, you’ll be wasting your money.
So, before you make a decision, look over the specifications of both your device and the card.
The card’s size is the second most important feature. You must also examine the size of M.2 WiFi cards because they come in a variety of sizes.
Examine your device’s specifications to find out how big the card slot is. Then, find a card that matches your device’s dimensions and install it.
2. Number of Antennas
This is a little tough because the antennas on the cards are often overlooked. Also, be wary of it, since it may cause issues when it comes to correcting the card later. Count the antennae on your computer card as well as the card you want to buy.
Best of the Best M2 Wi-Fi Cards [Most Honest Review]
1. Wireless Dual Band Intel 7260NGW
- Intel 7260 7260NGW
- NGFF PCIe interface （Make sure that whether your machine supports NGFF interface berfore buying）
- only use in Dell Laptop Recommend of use Wireless module same as original part number (DPN). Please confirm with us, if update or not sure compatible your laptop.
This is one of Amazon’s most popular M.2 wireless cards, with a reputation for being both inexpensive and giving the finest experience.
Wireless Dual Band Intel 7260NGW Intel 7260NGW
Windows 7, Windows 8, and Linux are all supported.
It has the following characteristics:
- It’s quick and gives you more coverage than the usual rival.
- It also has a higher capacity at 802.11ac.
- It’s Bluetooth 4.0 smart-capable.
- It offers a battery-saving mode that helps save battery life while the card is not in use.
- It enables roaming between access stations.
Before you buy something, make sure it’ll work with your laptop. It’s also worth noting that, while it’s compatible with Linux, you might not be able to take advantage of all of the features.
2. 2230, 22 AC+BT Intel 8265 Generic (8265NGWMG)
- Product Type :Network Interface Controller Adapter
- Package Dimensions :1.143 Cm L X4.064 Cm W X5.08 Cm H
- Country Of Origin :United States
- Package Quantity :1
2230, 22 AC+BT Intel 8265 Generic (8265NGWMG)
This one appears to be rather popular among consumers as well, as it provides 3x better WiFi speeds than 802.11n while being reasonably priced.
The following are a few of its best features:
- You can get up to three times the bandwidth per stream.
- There are no antennas on it.
- Users have frequently stated that this is a far superior substitute for Dell’s Killer adapters.
- It is simple to install and comes with a pictorial instruction guide to walk you through the procedure. All of your disconnection and slow connection issues will be cured with this M.2 WiFi card.
3. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11ac
- Delivers up to 3x faster Wi-Fi speeds (up to 867 Mbps1) than 802.11n, with more bandwidth per stream 433 Mbps), more capacity for more users, broader coverage and better battery life (more data transmit efficiencies reduce power consumption). Advanced optional 802.11ac specification features implemented that improve channel reliability resulting in better coverage and performance.
- Bluetooth 4.0* Smart Ready (Low Energy) - Dual mode Bluetooth 4.0 connects to the newest low energy Bluetooth products as well as your familiar devices, such as headsets, keyboard, mice and more.
- Microsoft InstantGo*2 Support - Maintains network connectivity with very low power consumption to enable updates to your email, social networks, etc. when your screen is off in standby mode.
- M.2 2230 and M.2 1216 Form Factors - Multiple form-factors, including M.2 2230 and M.2 1216 modules enable system configuration and platform usages flexibility. The M.2 1216 form factor delivers 70% smaller footprint and lower profile optimized for thin-and-light designs.
This WiFi card offers 3x the speed of 802.11n, as well as a bandwidth of 433 Mbps (also greater in comparison) and improved capacity.
802.11ac Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
Let’s take a look at some further features:
- It has a larger coverage area.
- Data transmit efficiencies improve battery life by ensuring that power consumption is kept to a minimum.
- Network connectivity is maintained even with low power usage. As a result, even while the device is in standby mode, updates to social networks, emails, and other services continue.
- The card is designed to work with tiny and light devices.
- Because of its various form factors, it works well on a variety of platforms.
- It connects to other Bluetooth devices, as well as keyboards, mice, headsets, and other peripherals, through Bluetooth 4.0
4. Wireless Card M.2 (NGFF)
- ATTENTION.. This module must be used with an Intel SoC which supports Connectivity Integration (CNVi). Please use Intel 9260 if you're not sure if your system supports this Intel 9560. Or consult your system builder/manufacturer support.
- Host Interfaces Wi-Fi: PCI based (Internal to the SoC)
- Interfaces to the SoC Wi-Fi: CNVio (Intel propietary bus inspired by the DPHY low power interface)
- Supported Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit ONLY), Linux (Limited feature support), Chrome
- Intel corrected errors in CNVio trace numbers on M.2 2230 (pins 21 and 23 swapped) on April 2017
Despite being slightly more expensive than its competitors, this M.2 WiFi card is quite popular among consumers. It’s a passive adapter that converts NGFF (half-size mini-card) to a conventional PCI-Express 1X slot or USB 9-pin header on PCs.
Some of its key aspects are listed below:
- It is compatible with Bluetooth Mini Card, WiMAX, GPS, HSPA, WWAN, CDMA, and 3G USB interfaces.
- This adapter converts a PCI Express micro card to a PCI Express card.
- It does not require any software drivers to operate.
- It includes two 6DB antennas.
5. The Intel 7265 IEEE
- M.2 2230 and M.2 1216 Form Factors
- Model Number: 7265NGW
- Microsoft InstantGo Support: Maintains network connectivity with very low power consumption to enable updates
- Delivers up to 3x faster Wi-Fi speeds (up to 867 Mbps1) than 802.11n, with up to 3x more bandwidth per stream for more users and devices
- More capacity for more devices, better performance at further distances, improved reliability for fewer dropped connections, and lower power consumption for longer battery life.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card is available in M.2 2230 and M.2 1216 form factors and is both affordable and simple to use. It also includes Microsoft InstantGo Support, which ensures that connectivity is maintained even when the device is powered down.
Some of its characteristics are as follows:
- The connectivity and Wi-Fi speed are substantially faster as compared to 802.11n.
- In addition, the bandwidth is greater in comparison.
- It performs admirably with a white list.
- Even at a great distance, the connectivity and performance are excellent.
- As the user’s status improves, the number of dropped connections decreases.
- It uses less energy and has longer battery life.
Many consumers have reported that the recommended antennas do not work with this M.2 WiFi card, therefore you may need to look for alternative antennas.
6. Wireless-AC 8260 NGFF Wi-Fi Card with Dual Band
- 1. Add IEEE 802.11AC WiFi 5 1200Mbps (2.4GHz 300Mbps and 5GHz 867Mbps) dual band network card on laptop PCs for online gaming, video streaming and internet surfing.
- 2. Come with WiFi Audio Adapter for WiFi headset, TWS earphones, soundbars, speakers etc audio source transmission.
- 3. Compatible systems: Windows 7(32/64bit), Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 11 64bit need to install WiFi and WiFi Audio driver. Supports Linux kernel 4.1+ systems (Need compile).
- 4. Model: Wireless-AC 8260NGW, Hardware Interface: NGFF M2, Major Chipset: Intel Wireless-AC 8260, Peak Speed: 2.4GH 300Mbps & 5GHz 867Mbps.
- 5. Target Users: Laptop PCs or industrial devices, Package: NETELY Brand Color Box, WiFi Standard: IEEE 802.11 AC WiFi 5, WiFi Encryption: 64bit and 128-bit WEP, AES-CCMP and TKIP.
This Wi-Fi card is dual-band, 3rd generation 802.11ac. It has a maximum speed of 867 Mbps and a larger capacity than typical.
Wireless-AC 8260 NGFF Wi-Fi Card with Dual Band
Take a peek at some of its highlights:
- It promises to be substantially faster than 22 802.11 n.
- It has three times the data storage capacity.
- It has WiDi support, so you can have a flawless connection even on a big screen.
- Connecting to Bluetooth and related devices is a snap with this Wi-Fi card’s Bluetooth 4.2 Smart Ready.
- Only Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 are supported.
- It also only works with a limited number of devices. You can’t use it with Thinkpad, IBM, or Lenovo, for example.
7. Intel 7260.HMWG.R Dual Band Wireless Network Adapter
- Ultimate Wi-Fi performance more speed, coverage, larger capacity
- Bluetooth 4.0 smart ready
- Intel wireless display
- Intel Smart Connect technology
- Intel Wi-Fi Hotspot assistant
Many people say this is the greatest M.2 WiFi card they’ve ever used, citing faster Internet speeds and better connectivity as reasons. The connection is strong, and the product meets up to Intel’s high standards.
Some of its qualities are as follows:
- It has Bluetooth 4.0 smart functionality.
- WiFi hotspot assistance and Intel Smart Connect technology are included.
- Its capacity is greater than that of its peers in its class.
- A wireless display from Intel is available.
It may take some time to figure out how to set it up and install it, but it’s a great find once you do.
8. OKN WiFi 6 AX200 M.2 Wi-Fi Card
- PCIE WiFi Card upto 2974Mbps with Bluetooth 5.1
- PCIE x1, x8, x16 is Compatible
- WiFi 6 PCIE Card and Intel AX200 Support WPA3
- WiFi 6 PCIE Card and Intel AX200 work with Windows10 64bit
- Intel AX200 fits M.2 slot (A key or E key) on Laptop
OKN is one of the most popular brands on the market, offering a wide range of Wi-Fi cards. As a result, you should look into this offer. This OKN WiFi 6 AX200 Wireless Card is ranked second because it offers all of the most up-to-date technologies at an affordable price.
OKN WiFi 6 AX200 M.2 Wi-Fi Card
It uses the latest 802.11ax Wi-Fi standards because it’s a Wi-Fi 6 card. This card, however, offers dual-band networks and can deliver up to 2400Mbps on the 5GHz band and 574Mbps on the 2.4GHz band.
Apart from that, it can achieve such high speeds with technology like OFDMA and 1024QAM channels. The best thing about this Wireless card is how versatile it is. It works with nearly all Intel chipsets and newer AMD CPUs on PCs running Windows 10 64bit and Linux.
Unfortunately, macOS devices are not supported by this card. Aside from that, the card includes an M.2/NGFF 2230 interface, which makes it easier to replace older cards on your laptop or PC with this one.
In comparison to earlier Bluetooth 4.2, the card also includes Bluetooth 5.1 functionality, which is much faster and more stable.
- Wi-Fi 6 (11ax) can deliver up to 3Gbps.
- Supports Networks with two bands
- OFDMA and 1024QAM are supported.
- Intel and AMD CPUs are both supported.
- Windows 10 and Linux OS 2/NGFF 2230 Interface Compatible
- Bluetooth version 5.1
9. WiFi 6 AX200NGW M.2 Card by EDUP
- 【AC 1200Mbps Wireless Wifi Card】: Delivers 867Mbps(5G)+300Mbps(2.4G) Dual Band WiFi Speed. The Intel Wireless –ac 7265 Dramatically Reshapes Your Connected Experience At Home, Enables Smoother Streaming Of Higher Resolution Videos, Fewer Dropped Connections And Less Congestion.
- 【Bluetooth 4.2】: Compared To Bluetooth 4.0, BT4.2 Improves Data Transmission Rate Up To 250% And Proves To Be More Secure, Simply Connects To The Newest Low Energy Bluetooth Products As Well As Your Family Devices, Such As Headsets, Keyboard, Mice And More.
- 【Strong Compatibility】: (1) Support Windows 10/8.1/7(32/64bit). (2) Operation Environment: works on Intel or AMD inside processor (CPU) computers.
- 【Part Of Compatible Devices List】: (1)If you're HP, Lenovo and Thinkpad users, please check whether the laptop is BIOS whitelist restricted before purchase. (2) Work with laptops have m.2 slot from other brands, such as HP, Dell, Razer, Acer, Alienware, ASUS, Microsoft, MSI, Samsung, etc.
- 【M.2 2230 Interface】:Ensure the laptop / notebook has m.2 slot, and contact us through Amazon message if you're not sure.
When it comes to WiFi cards, EDUP is a company that offers a wide choice of cutting-edge technologies at very reasonable prices.
WiFi 6 AX200NGW M.2 Wi-Fi Card by EDUP
This card is a WiFi 6 AX200NGW M.2 Wireless Network Card, which supports 802.11ax wireless standards. That said, it’s nearly three times better than any other Wi-Fi card on the market.
In that situation, this card can provide wifi rates of up to 2402Mbps on the 5GHz band and roughly 574Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. As a result, if you have a dual-band router, this card will not let you down.
It also uses an NGFF M2 2230 A/E key and is only compatible with machines running Windows 10. This card can supply up to 300Mbps at 2.4GHz and up to 1733Mbps at 5GHz to users who are currently using a Wi-Fi 5 AC router.
It can reliably transfer data to many clients without trouble thanks to the 22 MU-MIMO technology. When it comes to Bluetooth, the card supports Bluetooth 5.1, which is also backward compatible, so you may connect almost any Bluetooth device to your PC after installing it.
- Uses of the 11ax Wireless Standard MU-MIMO technology NGFF M2 2230 A/E key 22
- Speeds of up to 2974Mbps are possible.
- Intel-based systems are supported.
- Bluetooth 5.1 is supported on Windows 10 and ChromeOS.
10. Ubit AX200 Wi-Fi M.2 Card
- CATUION: NOT WORKS WITH CNVIo M.2 WLAN Card, Such as AX411NGW, AX211NGW, AX201NGW, 9560NGW, 9462NGW, 9461NGW.
- This adapter is designed for desktop/Laptop PCs that convert mini PCI-E cards, You can insert your M.2 NGFF type mini card to this adapter. Also, WiFi& Bluetooth Combo card such as 3160NGW, 3165NGW, 7260NGW, 7265NGW, 8260NGW, 8265NGW, 9260NGW, AX200NGW, AX210NGW or other NGFF WLAN Card can be used for supporting both WiFi by PCIe and Bluetooth by USB at the same time.
- NOTE: Don't works with Lenovo / HP laptop, Don't works with label have a FRU for the WiFi module.
- Support PCIe Mini Card : IEEE WLAN802.11a/b/g/n, 802.11d, 802.11e, 802.11i, 802.11h, 802.11ac.
- No drivers needed for this M.2 NGFF Card to mini PCI-E Adapter.
This option from Ubit is a beautiful choice if you want a quality alternative for your PC or laptop because many respected manufacturers sell Wi-Fi cards.
The card’s NGFF M.2 2230 form factor makes it easy to replace an older card in your laptop, and it’s also straightforward to install on a PC motherboard. Because it connects using an A/E key, you have the option of selecting the socket.
If you’re concerned about performance, this card supports 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) standards. As a result, the data transfer rates supplied by this card are nearly three times faster than prior Wi-Fi 5 modules.
It does, however, support MU-MIMO technology as well as dual-band networks. As a result, it reliably delivers speeds of up to 2974Mbps, while the OFDMA technology does its utmost to reduce network lag.
It even includes the Bluetooth 5.1 chip, which provides excellent stability and consumes very little power. Furthermore, Bluetooth 5.1 has nearly four times the coverage of Bluetooth 4.2 and allows you to connect as many devices as you like.
- 802.11ax Wireless Standard
- M.2 2230 form factor of the NGFF
- A/E key is used.
- Speeds of up to 2974Mbps are possible.
- Bluetooth version 5.1
- OFDMA stands for Optical Frequency Division Multiple Access.
- MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multiple-Input Multiple-Output) Technology (MU-M
- Dual-Band Networks are supported.
READ ALSO: The Top 6 Best WiFi Thermometer You Must Purchase (Complete Review)
What is the M2 Expansion Slot’s purpose?
Benefits and Definition
In 2013, the M.2 specification standard was introduced to replace the mSATA specification standard for mounted internal expansion boards in computer equipment. It was previously known as Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF).
Mini PCIe can also be used to improve the efficiency of internal expansion in computer boards. However, to create a better environment in terms of performance and space, a standard like M.2 was required.
Because it has a different physical structure than Mini PCIe, mSATA SSDs and other larger wireless network cards cannot be installed in the M.2 slot. Due to the incompatible device’s differing key structure, you won’t be able to link it to it.
M.2 supports USB, Audio, PCIe, Display, SATA, and I2C buses and is available in a variety of models. The M.2 slot’s specifications specify the type of card that can be used with it (single or multiple keyed).
Let’s have a look at the benefits of M.2 after obtaining a basic understanding of how it works.
M.2 WiFi card Expansion Slot Advantages
- The M.2 slot offers increased storage and expansion flexibility and speed.
- The data transfer speed of an M.2 SSD, for example, can be boosted to 30 GB/S, which is about 5 times faster than a regular SSD.
- It comes in various sizes, such as smaller or larger, thinner or thicker, so you can choose the proper length of the slot
- The M.2 extension slot allows you to use the ‘DevSleep’ feature.
- This function lowers the M.2 SSD’s power consumption by keeping some background services running for speedy recovery when the machine enters sleep mode.
In order to use an M.2 WiFi card, you must meet the following requirements.
Two prerequisites must be completed in order to use the M.2 WiFi card in your system: space and key. The M.2 slot, which will house the M.2 networking card, should be given its own space in the system.
In addition, the connector you’re using must have the same key kinds as the M.2 expansion slot.
Who is eligible to use the M.2 expansion slot?
If you have a modern computer system, the M.2 expansion slot is very certainly included. Advanced laptop users will not be able to do so because today’s machines have compact designs that are not ideal for unplanned extensions.
It will be easy for desktop PC users to have such an expansion slot on their suitable motherboard. Check the compatibility of your motherboard on the manufacturer’s website.
So there you have it! We hope this list was useful in assisting you in selecting the best WiFi card for your device. Please let us know if we missed anything or if you have any cards that you think may be added to the list!
CONCLUSION On Best M2 Wi-Fi Card
If you’ve read through the buying guide and checked out all of the Wi-Fi cards on the list, you’re ready to go. It should not be difficult for anyone to choose the best Wi-Fi card for their laptops or desktop computers.
If you’re worried about the top three choices on the list, here are our personal recommendations:
Because it is sold directly by Intel and offers amazing Wi-Fi 5 speeds as well as attractive pricing, the Intel Wireless-Ac 9260 Wi-Fi card is simply the best option. It also has Bluetooth 5 and is compatible with all of the latest Intel Core chipsets.
Choose the OKN WiFi 6 AX200 802.11ax WiFi Card if you want a future-proof wireless solution, as Wi-Fi 6 technology is the fastest available right now. You also get Bluetooth 5.1 and data transfer rates of up to 3Gbps, which is fantastic.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a complete kit for your desktop PC, Intel’s Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit is a good option. The kid comes with everything you need, and the card uses the latest 802.11ax standards to deliver speeds of up to 2402Mbps, which is fantastic.
FAQs About M2 Wi-Fi Card
Is Bluetooth available on the M 2 WiFi card?
It also comes with Bluetooth. What makes it special? It’s a dual-band wifi system that can give speeds of up to 2400 Mbps at 5 GHz and 567 Mbps at 2.4 GHz. Bluetooth version 5.1 is used.
Is it possible to replace the wireless card on my laptop?
To install a new card, pry out the antenna wire with a plastic tool – such as the ones that come with replacement phone screens – or even your fingernail (s). They’re a cinch to put on. Then unscrew any screws that are holding the card in place, and the card should pop out. You may now slide it out.
Is an M 2 Wi-Fi card good?
Nonetheless, it outperforms any conventional Wi-Fi card available. In that case, this card can provide wireless speeds of up to 2402Mbps on the 5GHz band and around 574Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. As a result, if you have a dual-band router, this card will not let you down.